Is your idea of martial arts The Karate Kid? Does Mr. Miyagi pop in your mind every time martial art schools are mentioned? Becks Martial Arts in Fort Collins, Colorado, offers martial arts classes for all ages. Contact us today for a free introductory lesson.
WHAT IS MARTIAL ARTS?
Martial arts is the broad term for a system of training or combat for different purposes such as self defense or mental or spiritual development. The goal of martial arts is to defeat your opponent. Today martial arts refers to fighting systems of Asia. However, the word actually has a Latin origin (meaning “arts of Mars”, named after the Roman god of war) and was used to describe European fighting methods.
People have been fighting each other since the beginning of time. Different civilizations developed different styles of combat. Although martial arts had its origins in Europe, martial arts declined in Europe with the advent of firearms. However, in Asia, firearms had yet to become mainstream; hence, the martial arts flourished and grew. Kung Fu flourished in China and made its way over to Japan where Karate was born on the island of Okinawa. From here, the martial arts spread its way to the United States thanks to immigration from Asia into America. Martial arts are popular all over the world and with literally hundreds, perhaps thousands, of different types of martial arts training, there is something for everyone.
TYPES OF MARTIAL ARTS
Martial arts are usually classified based on fighting styles:
- Striking or stand-up styles. Kung fu for example means “a skill or ability to do something”. This martial arts was believed to have been created by monks in China. Kung fu comprises development of external strength as well as internal strength: mental focus and chi manipulation. It includes bare-handed fighting techniques and rudimentary weapons. A combination of different Chinese martial arts, Karate means “empty-handed” and is an unarmed martial arts that relies on punches and kicks. This includes karate, kung fu, and taekwondo.
- Grappling or ground-fighting styles. This includes Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which was borrowed from Judo in the 20th century.
- Throwing or take-down styles. Judo is one of these styles. Meaning “gentle way”, Judo is an unarmed martial art developed in Japan derived from Ju Jitsu. This includes aikido and judo.
- Weapons-based styles. This includes kendo.
- Low-impact or meditative styles. This includes Tai Chi.
- MMA or hybrid styles. This is MMA. Krav Maga was derived in Israel and is a self-defense style martial art that relies on reflexes during threatening situations.
Tae Kwon Do, for example, can be translated as “the way of foot and fist.” More than just kicking and punching for the purpose of fighting, Tae Kwon Do students also focus on the health of the body and the mind, through increased flexibility and mental discipline. Taekwondo borrows from Okinawan karate, Chinese martial arts, and other ancient traditional Korean combat arts. It is a form of unarmed self-defense system, wherein the emphasis is on potent kicks, rather than on hand strikes.
THE PURPOSE OF MARTIAL ARTS
- Self defense
- Overcoming an opponent
- Maintaining cultural traditions
At Becks Martial Arts, we believe and practice a whole-body approach. We develop character as well as physical capacity. You’ll grow mentally, emotionally, and physically through the practice of martial arts. Our program is designed to progress through the belt ranks at your pace through accomplishing various moves consistently. We value community and are always encouraging our students to give back.
As the students progress in Taekwondo, the requirements progress along with them. The belt ranks are a bit more challenging, and one gains a real sense of accomplishment when achieved. Focus and discipline are key areas we focus on
We want our students to thrive in all aspects of their life, at home and at school. We solicit feedback from parents about whether students are demonstrating good character qualities at home and at school. Homework sheets are an integral part of our belt progressions, each of which encourage growth in character traits, respect, self-control, and integrity. Memorizing a series of martial arts moves is required to progress to the next belt ranking.
At Becks Martial Arts, we value all students, especially those with disadvantages such as ADHD or autism. We believe the study and training of martial arts is valuable in all aspects in life, including coping with other issues. The whole person is our focus and developing self-esteem and respect are key components of our program. We also integrate teachings about bullying, so students know how to respond to bullying. We also address the emotional and verbal skills needed to cope with bullying.
Becks Martial Arts exists for you. We want our martial arts classes to be the highlight of your day. We want you to come to class, enthusiastic, and ready to let go of the pressures, anxieties, or dullness of your day. We aim to make our classes fun, engaging, and above all a learning experience as you add a life skill to your repertoire. Contact us today for a free introductory lesson!